It’s 1:02 AM and I just finished putting the final touches on my and Kate’s “something” to put out into the void. It’s a public service announcement that I crafted using Windows Movie Maker and a trial version of CaptureWiz. I have to admit, I was terrified when I heard the parameters for the project. “Make something” – what is that about? I’ve spent my college career with professors who put 6 pages of grammar instructions for writing in the Coursepack, and handed out multi-page instruction manuals for projects. Things had to be the way they wanted it, just so or certain failure. Oddly enough, I never felt closer to failure than I did at the idea of this “something” project. There  were no bread crumbs to keep me from wandering into assignment oblivion. Before, as long as I followed the project manifesto I knew it was going to be alright. Now, what the heck was I going to do? I came to college for this? …And then I remembered. I did. Finally, in my last semester of my last year of college I was truly challenged to imagine on my own, without major limitations. The training wheels were off. So, upon the completion of my special “something,” I’d like to thank Dr. Campbell and the entire NMS class this semester. I hope my video makes you stop and think – and who knows? Maybe this video, which I’d never have made otherwise, will actually make a difference to someone, somewhere, somehow.

3 Responses to “The Terror Inflicted by “Something””

1. Reverend says:

Maybe this video, which I’d never have made otherwise, will actually make a difference to someone, somewhere, somehow.

You have to publish it on your blog before it can make a difference to folks beyond your New Media Studies class. Is it on YouTube? Flickr? Where? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. asteele says:

I wanted to show my partner the final cut before it’s posted. It should be up on YouTube sometime tomorrow. I’m not sure if you’re in our NMS class, Reverend, but if not, there will be a WetPaint viewing broadcast of the entire project presentation on Thursday May 1st.

3. Alyssa Johnson says:

I also was incredibly intimidated by “do something” . . . I guess I was too used to specific instructions from classes. Can’t wait to see what you came up with!